Saturday, August 20, 2011

What is a CTO?

As I've noted in some other posts, I'm the CTO at a Bay Area startup. My company is somewhat noteworthy for the technical and scientific depth of our problem domain. Specifically, we apply modern machine learning and cutting edge cloud computing to predict the properties of drugs. Ok, so I'm getting to the point ...
At a startup you wear many hats and as the company grows you need to start to pass some of those hats on to others. I've been thinking about how to do this and how to separate and define the role of CTO versus V.P. of engineering.
For me the key difference is vision versus execution. The role of the CTO is to develop and effectively communicate, evangelize, and sell the company's technical vision. The role of a V.P. of engineering is to efficiently implement that vision.

No comments:

Post a Comment