Saturday, July 16, 2011

I love Santa Cruz

Santa Cruz and I go back a long way. I came here first in 1992, spent eight years here from 1996 to 2004 -- loved, lost, loved again. Learned -- a lot.

I don't get down here as often as I would like, but got to spend a few days here this weekend. I don't know what it is about this town but I just love it. The people are cool, the weather is hot, the feeling is warm. Right now I'm sitting in the back of Lulu Carpenter's coffee shop. This place has been here a while (used to be Espresso Royale) and I used to come here to study and take in the world. They have the best espresso -- and right now a blue's band.

Earlier, I hiked up the back of campus. When I was here for grad school I used to run up there all the time. The campus that most people know is only the bottom 1/3rd the rest is essentially a natural forest. It is so beautiful. Full of redwoods, beautiful meadows and trails that go on for ever. Its also empty. On the lower trails you meet some mountain bikers but as you get up the back and head down towards highway 9 its empty. It could be any time in history. God I love it back there.

I've got to head home tomorrow, I'm trying to decide what to do in the morning. I think I'll either go to ride the old wooden roller coaster or I'll just go for a walk on west cliff. Actually, I think I'll do both!

Back here again with my girls in September. Awesome.

Location:Santa Cruz,United States

1 comment:

  1. It's a great place to raise kids, ya know. Especially 2 girls :)

    ReplyDelete